St. James Baseball – Grounds Maintenance Worker
Optimist Park Baseball Facility
St. James Minor Baseball Association (SJAMBA) is a not-for-profit organization that oversees the organization of minor baseball programming in the St. James and Headingley region. They also operate Optimist Park. The baseball facility has 8 baseball diamonds and 1 softball diamond. Optimist Park operates primarily from May through to mid- August, with reduced operations continuing until early November.
SJAMBA is currently accepting applications for grounds maintenance workers at Optimist Park for the 2023 season. Multiple positions may be available, dependent on skills, maturity and availability of applicants. Position terms offered will be from late April until park closing. Due to funding requirements, positions are largely restricted to students. All staff will report to the Optimist Park facility director and to the Board of Directors of SJAMBA.
While the primary responsibilities of workers will be for the operation and maintenance of the baseball fields, workers will also be involved in the operation and maintenance of the overall facility.
Primary duties will include:
- Cutting of infields and outfields
- Trimming and maintaining of playing field perimeter and edges
- Maintaining base paths and warning areas
- Painting and/or chalking field lines and paths
- Setting and maintaining base areas and setting bases
- Tarping fields and watering when required
- Making, or assisting with, repairs to diamonds
- Equipment maintenance
- General building maintenance and cleaning
- Painting facility infrastructure
- Assisting in landscaping and facility improvements
- Monitoring the safety of playing fields
- Garbage & Recycling pick-up
- Other duties as assigned
Qualifications and Requirements:
- A self-starter able to complete required tasks with limited direct supervision
- Demonstrated ability to interact with facility users and other employees
- Availability to work weeknights and weekends
- Ability and willingness to work outdoors, even during inclement weather
- Experience operating manual and gas powered equipment such as push mowers, gas trimmers, utility vehicle with trailer, etc.
- Experience with landscaping or sports field maintenance
- Possession of a personal mobile phone
Hours of Work:
There will be some flexibility with respect to weekly hours of work, however weekly schedules will include evening and weekend shifts, as staff scheduling will be affected by daily field use requirements such as prepping fields and closing up facility, etc. which is done both on weekdays and weekends. Routine field use occurs primarily on weekday evenings and all day on weekends. Expected weekly work hours can vary between 35 and 40 hours.
High school student applicants should indicate their level of availability during the months of May and June when applying.
Hourly wage rate – 15.00 per hour.
To apply, send resume by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Application closing date – May 1, 2023